We are so happy you applied to UCSB! Now that we have received your application, what happens next? Set up your UCSB Applicant Portal using the instructions provided in your "Application Confirmation" email. On the portal, you should create your password, update your personal information if necessary, and review dates and deadlines.
Next Steps for Applicants
We will release admission decisions on the Applicant Portal in mid-March for freshman applicants and in mid-April for transfer applicants. In the meantime, stay informed and learn more about what UCSB has to offer!
- Keep up with important dates and deadlines.
- Take a guided virtual tour with a UCSB tour guide or join a student panel on our Virtual Campus Visits page.
- Check our Open House page soon for details on our upcoming a virtual open house.
- Take a look at our publications and videos, read 10 reasons to choose UCSB, and browse our Frequently Asked Questions.
- Follow @UCSBAdmissions for Admissions updates and @UCSBLife for an overview of student life on campus.
- Learn about financial aid options by visiting the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships website.
- Visit UCSB's COVID-19 information page to stay up-to-date with the latest news.
Important Notes for Freshman Applicants
- Unless specifically requested, you should not send transcripts, letters of recommendation, or any supplemental materials. Admitted first-year students who enroll at UCSB will be required to provide their final high school transcript with a graduation date in the summer.
- You must maintain a 'B' average for your senior year. Even one 'D' or 'F' may render you ineligible for the University of California.
- You should not send us official test scores at this time (including SAT, AP, ACT, SAT Subject Tests, etc.). For international students, when required, IELTS and TOEFL scores should be submitted to each UC you applied to by January. Visit our English Language Proficiency page for more information.
Important Notes for Transfer Applicants
- Submit your Transfer Academic Update (TAU) on the UC application website. Look for a system-generated reminder email in January. The priority deadline is January 31, 2021. Additional academic updates can be submitted past the priority deadline until March 31, 2021 as this is the central way for all campuses to receive updates. If you need to update something on your academic record before fall 2020, please add details to the "additional comments" section and UC campuses will follow up when your application is reviewed.
- You must complete all planned courses with a grade of 'C' or better.
Frequently Asked Questions from Applicants
Due to the current volume of submissions, we are unable to update freshman applications once they are submitted. If you are admitted and choose to enroll at UCSB, you can reach out at that time with any coursework changes. Transfer applicants will be able to update their academic record during the Transfer Academic Update (TAU) in January.
Admission decisions are released online mid-March for freshman applicants and mid to late April for transfer applicants on the Applicant Portal.
- Freshman Applicants: To learn about submitting a change of major request to an open major in the College of Letters and Science, visit the Major Changes page.
- Transfer Applicants: Students who have appropriate major preparation in another major may request to be reviewed through January 30, 2021 for fall 2021 term. Visit the Major Changes page for a list of open majors.
Please send transcripts only if you are admitted and have decided to attend UCSB. The University of California application asks applicants to self-report their academic information and to use a copy of their transcript when doing so. Consequently, we do not review partial transcripts in our selection process, but rather we rely on what you reported in your UCSB application.
If admitted and you decide to attend the university, we will require your final transcripts with graduation posted. At that time, we will review the transcripts and confirm that the original records were entered correctly.
After enrollment, transcripts can be sent to:
Office of Admissions
1210 Cheadle Hall
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-2014
UCSB accepts electronic transcripts from the following vendors: Credentials Solutions/eSCRIP-SAFE, SCOIR, eTranscript CA, Kiteworks, JST DoD Military Transcripts, Parchment Exchange, National Student Clearinghouse, and SPEEDE. In most cases, transcripts sent through Naviance are distributed via Parchment Exchange.
We do not accept or review letters of recommendation in our selection process, but rather rely on what you reported in your UC application.
As we consider each individual application, we look beyond academics. We spend time evaluating your achievements in light of the opportunities available to you and your demonstrated capacity to contribute to the intellectual life at UCSB. For information on how we admit students, see information on our website for freshmen and transfer processes.
We appreciate that you are eager to express your love for UCSB! We love it too! Unfortunately, with so many applicants, we do not take “demonstrated interest” into consideration when making admission decisions. For information on how we admit students, see information on our website for freshmen and transfer processes.